Red lips are the epitome of glamour. The shade of red that you wear may vary but the impact remains. With exact replicas of the most gorgeous vintage colors, Besame Cosmetics is bringing old Hollywood starlet style to your modern boudoir with their lipstick collection.
This post may contain affiliate links.
THE VINTAGE REDS
- Noir Red (1930)
- Cherry Red (1935)
- Red Velvet (1946)
- Dusty Rose (1969)
- Chocolate Kiss (1970)
The 5 reds in this post are vintage reproductions of exact shades made throughout the 20th century. The founder of Besame Cosmetics, Gabriela, is a cosmetic historian, designer, author, and artist. She searches vintage makeup and chooses to replicate colors that represent the years that they were originally created in.
Noir Red (1930). Deep plum, boysenberry red. This dramatic color is reminiscent of Gatsby and the grand parties synonymous with that name.
Cherry Red (1935). Deep, rich cherry red. This was an incredibly popular color that year. It’s representative of old Hollywood glamour and drama.
Red Velvet (1946). Deep red for everyday wear. This truly classic red has a neutral undertone, making it a flattering red lipstick for all skin tones.
Dusty Rose (1969). Natural rose. Now we see things start to veer away from the classic reds we picture when thinking of vintage glam. This more natural color lets your eye makeup steal the show.
Chocolate Kiss (1970). Neutral milk chocolate brown. Nudes were all the rage in the early 70s. This softer shade was ideal for the barely-there makeup looks of its time.
The packaging is inspired by the lipstick tubes of the 1940s. The mini and the full-size lipsticks are encased in red and gold bullet tubes. The minis have a notch that you use to push up more lipstick when necessary and the full-size lipsticks are twist up. I love the authentic look and classic feel of the packaging.
This lipstick is enriched with squalene, vitamin C and aloe which smooths your lips. The formula ensures that the lipsticks are incredibly comfortable to wear. They have a semi-matte finish and the very highly pigmented colors last several hours. When the color does begin to fade, it fades gracefully. Instead of looking streaky, the color tends to look lighter and lighter until you decide it’s time to re-apply.
As claimed, these lipsticks are truly one-swipe lip colors. They’re also feather-proof. Each shade applies beautifully and stays in place.
The lipstick itself, that is hand-poured, has a classic lipstick shape. The pointed edge can be used to line your lips and the flat edges can be used to fill in the color. I’ve tried this and it works really well, giving you full coverage color.
COST & WHERE TO PURCHASE
If you can’t decide on one color, this set is the perfect purchase. It allows you to test 5 different colors and get a feel for the formula of BÃ©same lipsticks.
Yes! These lipsticks wear as beautifully as they look. The vintage shades available are classic and glamorous. Following the application tips, I find these lipsticks easy to apply. Deep reds can be tricky, but this collection doesn’t smudge or budge once in place.
- I don’t need to prep my lips to apply them or to use heavy-duty makeup remover to scrub them off.
- Instead of drying out my lips, like almost every other lipstick that claims to be long-lasting, these are hydrating.
- The highly pigmented color and creaminess last.
- The tiny tubes of lipstick can easily be thrown in even the teeniest clutch, making them the ideal travel companions.
- The holidays may be a ways off, but this set would make a lovely gift.
- They may require the occasional touch-up, but the softness that they give my lips make the quick swipe after a few hours of wear 100% worth it to me.
- The mini lipsticks are pretty small, but they are large enough to wear several times. Being able to test them out multiple times allows you to get a true feel for how these lipsticks feel and what color suits you the best.